21 May It’s Monday! Check Out What We Are Reading!! #IMWAYR #Itsallaboutthebooks
Are you looking for a highly engaging text that is easy-to-read but doesn’t look easy? If you are, don’t miss Baby Monkey, Private Eye by Brian Selznick and David Serlin.
This book is filled with opportunities for readers:
- A repetitive reframe in each chapter that makes the book easy to read
- Lots of high-frequency sight words that striving readers may know so they will feel confident
- Elaborate illustrations that encourage readers to closely read to discover the subtleties in the text
- A lovable character with priceless facial expressions
- And of course, a twist of events at the end to keep readers reading
It’s Shoe Time, Bryan Collier
Coretta Scott King Award winner, Bryan Collier’s newest book, It’s Shoe Time is a must read for readers of all ages. Yes, it is easy-to-read, and it is also filled with layers of meaning. Readers can think about the POV of the text, pause and discuss the play on words, learn how to read speech bubbles, and of course, laugh at the unpredictable and hysterical ending. We certainly did! This book is going in our coaching bag and we will share it with K-6 readers everywhere.
If you want to know about more texts in our Surprise Endings Basket, join us on our blog on Thursday as we share more titles from this basket. Don’t forget to list the titles you would add to this basket when you comment. The more we share texts, the more we are equipped to connect students to the books that will engage and inspire them.